Monday, November 26, 2007

Kitchen Remodel - End of Day 2



Doesn't look like much happened today but there was a bunch of wire pulled and several electrical fixtures put in today. Jamie, Karen's brother, came over and did most of the thinking (OK, he did it all but I have to save some of my dignity here) and some of the worst attic work in the process. The only things left to do are to hook up the rest of the recessed lighting kits (see the kits in the second image - at least the two I was able to connect in today) and to pull the telephone wire through the attic. Both of these will take some serious attic gyrations but shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. After that is completed, I have a few boxes to hang. Jamie will stop by this afternoon and do the rest of the hookups and we will be finished with the electrical.

After I pull the telephone wire through the wall and the attic, I'm ready to sheetrock the kitchen. After that, the much dreaded taping and bedding. I don't know how those sheetrock guys do that so well but I'll give it another try.

If you've never had the pleasure of working with a "real electrician," it is quite amazing. As much as I try, I can't seem to get a mental picture of how electricity works and moves through wires. I've tried to used the "water flowing" metaphor but it only helped a little. Its interesting to watch Jamie look around and think, knowing that he is creating this picture in his mind of how it all fits together. It helps me realize how people feel when I talk about computers, a discipline I have been involved in for 25 years and can easily make a mental picture of.

Hopefully, I can get the wiring and the sheetrock work completed today.

No comments: